Friday, February 3, 2012

Perfect Pita's

Today I made Pita's for the very first time. I have no idea why I have been putting it off. It simply sounded like it could be difficult ... well how wrong was I!




PITA BREAD RECIPE 
(recipe and picture taken from Pinterest)

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon yeast
1 ¼ cup warm water

1 teaspoon salt
3- 3 ½ cups flour (I substituted one cup with wholemeal and that worked out fine)
Preheat oven to 220'C (or 425F)
BY HAND METHOD:
Dissolve the yeast in the water for about 5 minutes in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add salt and 1 ½ cups flour and with the dough hook, beat to make a batter. Add additional flour until a rough, shaggy mass is formed. Knead 8 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour if it is too sticky.
BREADMAKER METHOD:
Dissolve the yeast in the water for about 5 minutes in the breadmaker tin. Add the salt and all the flour and then set to your dough mix.

THEN FOR BOTH METHODS:
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into six pieces for large pitas or ten for smaller. You could make all sorts of sizes to suit different snacks and meals. 8 suited us, as that meant 2 each.
Form the dough into balls and then flatten with a rolling pin into a thickness of about 6-7 mm discs. Try and keep an even thickness as this is what helps them ‘puff’.
Let rest on the floured surface 30-40 minutes until slightly puffed.
With a large spatula, flip the rounds of dough upside down on to a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until light golden.

 
Apparently, we scoffed ours all up so I can't comment from personal experience, these store for up to two days well wrapped or frozen for three weeks. Good to know but, fresh from the oven ... oh my, oh my.

 
I'll leave you with a picture of one of my pita's that was a bit misshapen and overcooked from the second batch (I have now learnt that 10 mins is the max with my oven!), so here's what I did ... this from the person who tells the children not to play with their food ... we all laughed though, especially when I made his mouth snap open and shut ...




No comments :

Post a Comment

Pin It