Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Science Love

In the New Year I was sitting here having a peruse on Pinterest (as you do) and saw some math tables (the type where a table is set up with lots of stuff for math, not multiplication tables) and thought how cool they looked and how children would just love to get in there and "do stuff". They looked like they would be perfect for younger children and it might be a bit too young for us ... which seriously disappointed me.

Now my little madams just love science (don't all kids who actually get to do hands on stuff rather than just all that yukky bookwork) which got me to thinking how cool it would be if we had an area set up where they could just go and do science stuff whenever the urge struck.

So immediately I was immediately off scouring for a suitable table. Now my MIL very generously gave me an old writing desk many years ago. I have a big old desk in the study and simply keep this little one for it's ornamental value and because I suppose I am a bit of a hoarder and sentimentalist, which is not a good combo! We just had wrapping paper, and basic stationery in it and it was in the lounge/dining area. This stuff could easily be in the study with the rest of the stuff so I emptied it the stuff over the floor, as you do ... and here she is in her new spot in the school room. Doesn't she have lovely legs? I think it's more of a science bureau ... how very posh ey?
 



In the top drop down section I have placed our microscopes, beakers, test tubes, plastic gloves, magnets, filters, chemicals (stored at the top in little Chinese food containers) and a few other things.



Underneath in the first drawer I have some of the Papa's old white uniform shirts, safety goggles and a tray for them to put out to use when they are mixing experiments. In the second drawer, there are some other science gear, electrical experiments, and sets that they have been given to make up.



I still have some things to add to it like some measuring spoons and some scales and most importantly a tie back for those nearby drapes ...  ;)  If anyone can think of anything that a science table should have then please let me know in the comments. I am holding off on a bunsen burner til they are both a bit older.

The girls have called it a success although they haven't used it much yet ... apparently it is too nice to mess up.

6 comments :

  1. Ooh! I love it! Makes me want to dive right in and play! But I can kind of see what the girls mean, too. Perhaps it could just be admired for a few days ;-)
    I look forward to hearing and seeing what goes on in the reinvented science bureau!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lucinda.
      I am hoping it will lead them to be more pro-active in their scientific endeavours and less Mama led. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. I love it too! But the potential for mess is kind of playing with my head...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have gotten to the stage where I probably wouldn't notice more mess, it would just blend in ... lol

      Delete
  3. I LOVE that desk! I want it as my private writing bureau, where I can store all my love letters *wait a second, I don't get any love letters :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! I do actually get lots of love letters. All from my girls though! :p

      Delete

Pin It