Monday, April 7, 2014

Glamourous Glasses

We were warned a couple of years back that The Fashionista's would probably need glasses one day. It was suggested that we keep an eye on her and if she ever started to complain of headaches or rubbed her eyes etc. to take her back, otherwise we were to simply have her eyes checked every year or two.

I have been concerned that her eyes have been troubling her as she doesn't like reading for very long periods of time. She complains that it makes her tired. As I was due for a check up I booked her in to take with me. 

She was told that she needs glasses for concentrated work now. Our optometrist was ever so gentle saying how many different colours, types of fashionable glasses there were out there. Little did he know that she was rather looking forward to yet another fashion accessory! Despite being busy he also took the time to point out some diagrams and explain what was going on with her eyes and teach her the parts of the eye, etc. He wasn't talking to me but spoke directly to her explaining everything she needed to know about what was going on with her eyes. I confess I love it when doctors, dentists, etc speak to the children directly and explain to them what is going on.


She is slight shy wearing them but we think they look lovely on her.


When we left his room we were handed over to one of his technicians. My fussy girl took absolutely ages to pick the "right" pair. I ended up apologising to the technician helping us but she was quick to laugh and say she was rather impressed with her decision making and natural talent for knowing what shapes and colours suited her own face. She ended up with a pair that have some lovely fret work along the sides, frankly they are nicer than mine!


Tip: We were told many years ago by our optometrist, who we think is pretty wonderful, that as we are  homeschoolers we need to make sure that our children gets plenty of distance and close work. IE children in a school room setting look up at a board and then back to their work in front of them a lot. This helps strengthen their eyes. We use a white board in our school room to make sure the girls do get used to close and distance work.


18 comments :

  1. The Fashionista looks extremely stylish - good choice!
    I didn't know that about distance vision. Interesting. Though I wonder how kids exercised those eye muscles before there were schools?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucinda that is a very, very good point! Maybe they were out and about more looking at the great outdoors? I suppose though whether they strengthen the muscles or not they probably bring to the attention quicker of any weaknesses in their vision.

      Delete
    2. Before they had school kids probably exercised their eyes just from the work they did outdoors farming. Concentrating up close at something in their hands, or putting harness on a horse, or pouring feed in a bucket, or planting seeds in the ground, then looking out at the horizon, up at the sky, etc. I think what the doctor was saying is that when homeschooled if you sit at the table with your kid always looking down at the table they are only focusing up close, instead up looking up at the board and then down at their pages. That's also the reason doctors suggest that adults who work on a computer all day to look at something in the distance (like across the room or out a window) every few minutes to work our eyes. That's how I understood it anyway hehe.

      Delete
  2. She looks very pretty in her new glasses! She made a good choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They suit her!
    I have one who needs glasses too. I am trying to train his eyes to no longer need them. A wacky idea, but I am making sloooow process. From all my reading, it is about muscles and too much close up work, or not enough distance work, and not enough sun light and a few other things. A very interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how he will go. You must write a post on it.

      Missy has astigmatism so I wonder if anything natural would help, as it's related to the shape of her eye. The doctor mentioned that these days they can do surgery to correct it ... he wasn't recommending it, just making conversation. My stomach turns at the thought of eye surgery ... ewww.

      Delete
  4. Picking out a pair of glasses is serious business! I have 1 that needs new glasses every year and it's fun for her to change it up every so often- get a new look. Best of wishes to the Fashionista :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New glasses every year ... ssshhh let's keep that between us shall we. No giving her ideas!

      Delete
  5. My son always took quite a while to pick the perfect pair. I only wish he would remember to wear them more when he is reading. Fun post!
    ~Lucy at Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are finding it hard to remember at home to get her to put them on. I told her I was going to get one of those granny strings so she could hand them around her neck to remember. Now that would have been a photo worth getting!

      Delete
  6. Lisa,

    The Fashionista looks very stylish in her new glasses! She did a great job choosing her frames. I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to choosing glasses. I spend hours trying on every pair the optometrist has, and then I come away with a pair that don't suit me at all. I have given up. I just wear my contact lenses.... and any old pair of reading glasses which I only wear at home where no one can see me. I'm not vain at all, you understand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe she can pick my next pair for me! I also mostly wear contacts but have been having the most awful time lately whilst they keep getting readjusted. The one in my left eye is for distance and the one in the right for near (old lady eyes now) apparently my brain adjusts the vision ... I don't think my brain heard that bit and so I am a bit wobbly these days until we find a pair that works.

      Delete
  7. Yes, it is such a big help when medical practitioners treat young patients that way because indeed, they are quite capable of understanding more things than we give them credit for!

    And yes, your fashionista looks so pretty in the frame that she chose. Isn't it a relief when they start making their own fashion choices and they happen to be good ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marcia, you have made me think what would of happened had it been my younger child choosing glasses. She has always had shall we say a "unique" dress sense. Dame Edna would have nothing on her I'd imagine.

      Delete
  8. I loved it when adult professionals (I think of our long-time dentist) talked directly to my kids, too. I look forward to following and reading more about your family! Shelly Burke, blogging the A to Z Challenge at www.nebraskafamilytimes.blogspot.com and www.achristianmomsguide.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a sign of a good professional when they can explain things in laymen terms to a child. I follow it better too ... lol

      Delete

Pin It