Monday, September 1, 2014

The Tweens first Daffodil Day

Cancer is something that has effected my family quite personally.
 
My Aunt Deb, a really close friend and sort of my idol (she was only 6 years older than me) died from cancer when she was just 32 years old, leaving behind a four year old son. Later two of my nephews who were only pre-schoolers, lost their mother Julie suddenly from it (within 4 days of diagnosis!), whilst she was only in her 20's. Two deaths of two very young mums taken by this really awful disease.  The Papa's own father died from cancer also, but it was before I ever met him.
 
For this reason every year I volunteer to sit on the local stall on Daffodil Day to collect money (sell pens, raffle tickets, etc) to help raise money and awareness.
 
For any international readers who don't know what Daffodil Day is, it is the Cancer Society's annual flagship event and one of the most important fundraising and awareness campaigns in New Zealand. As well as providing an opportunity to raise awareness of cancer in New Zealand, it's a major funding source for the Cancer Society.
 
The daffodil is one of the first flowers of spring, whose bright yellow blooms remind us of the joys the new season will bring. It represents the hope there is for the 1 in 3 New Zealanders affected by cancer.
 
This year I felt The Fashionista was old enough to sit on the stall with me and so I asked her if she'd like to volunteer with me. Of course she said YES!  Agent Smelly, never one to be left out of anything, decided that she'd like to come along also. So here are my sweet girls working their first Daffodil Day.

 
 
Here they are sitting outside our local dairy (milk bar, corner store, etc) at the table. Yes I was a proud Mama sitting nearby!
 
 
 
Aren't their hats cute? Usually I get stuck wearing one, so kind of glad with them both working I didn't have to wear it this year!
 
I love that both my girls understand how easy it is to donate a bit of time to worthy causes and am hoping that it is something they continue to do throughout their lives.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Pin It